Arch of Reno Licensing Information


The Arch of Reno Wedding Chapel can perform a wedding ceremony using a license issued anywhere within the State of Nevada. The Marriage Bureau in Reno is open every day of the year (including weekends and holidays) from 8:00 am until midnight. The driver of our complimentary limousine will take you to the Marriage Bureau and guide you through the process, making it stress free. The Marriage Bureau charges $60 for the license and accepts cash, money orders, traveler’s checks or credit cards (small fee applies). In Nevada, to be legally married, a marriage ceremony must be performed by a person authorized to perform a marriage in the State of Nevada.

Marriage License Requirements:

Two people (same sex marriages are legal), at least 18 years of age, not nearer of kin than second cousins or cousins of the half blood, and not having a husband or wife living, may be joined in marriage. Both parties must appear at the Marriage License Bureau.

Each applicant must provide proof of the applicant’s name and age. The Marriage License must contain the name of each applicant as shown in the documents presented to prove name and age.

The following original documents containing the applicant’s photo are acceptable. The photo must be a sufficiently recent, clear likeness of the applicant.

  • Driver’s License
  • Driver’s Instruction Permit
  • ID Card issued by U.S. state or territory
  • Foreign government issued ID Card, including Driver’s License (must include birth date)
  • Passport
  • Matricula Consular Card
  • Military ID Card issued by branch of U.S. Armed Forces
  • Military Dependent ID Card issued by branch of U.S. Armed Forces
  • Certificate of Citizenship issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
  • Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
  • Permanent Resident Card issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
  • Voter Identification Card (must contain birth date)

Or a combination of the following:

An original or certified Birth Certificate AND

  • Any secondary document that contains the name and photograph of the applicant, or
  • Any document for which identification must be verified as a condition of receipt of the document, such as:
  • Gaming Card
  • Sheriff’s Work Card
  • Social Security Card
  • Voter Registration Card
  • Bank issued Debit Card
  • Employee ID Card/Badge
  • Membership Card from establishments requiring ID for membership (Costco, Sam’s Club, etc.)

Foreign birth certificates must be translated into English. The translation must state that it is a true and correct translation of the birth certificate. The translation must also state that the translator is a qualified translator and include the printed name of the translator. The document must be signed and notarized.

Other ID may be acceptable. Please call for more information.

Social Security Number:

If you have a social security number, you are required to provide the number. There is NO requirement that you have a social security number to get a marriage license.

Divorce or annulment: You do not need to bring your divorce papers. However, if you have been divorced or your previous marriage has been annulled, the divorce or annulment must be final in the state where granted. You must know the year of the divorce or annulment and where the papers were filed.

Under 18 years old:

  • Persons at least 16 years of age but less than 18 years of age may marry only if the person has the consent of a parent or legal guardian. A parent or legal guardian is required to have acceptable identification to prove they are the parent on the birth certificate or the legal guardian on the guardianship order. If the parent’s last name is different than the child’s, you must show proof of how the parent obtained that name. Persons signing as legal guardians must furnish a certified court order showing proof of full legal guardianship to the satisfaction of the Clerk.


  • If the parent or legal guardian cannot be present, a consent form, written in English, stating the name, birth date, age of the minor child, relationship of the person giving consent, and name of prospective spouse; acknowledged before a Notary Public will be accepted. The notary portion of the consent form must state that the parent or guardian “personally appeared before” or that the document was “subscribed and sworn to before” the notary. A facsimile of the consent will be accepted. When a legal guardian is signing and sending a facsimile, a copy of the court order for full guardianship must be attached to the notarized consent. If the parent’s last name is different than the child’s, you must show proof of how the parent obtained that name.


  • Persons under 16 years of age call for more information.